(no subject)
Sep. 22nd, 2026 05:47 pmI ran through the dense forestry, branches and thorns snagging at my chilled skin like the grasping fingers of some jealous forest. I could feel the moon's gaze tracking me from above, the cold soil shifting beneath my bare feet, the wind seeping into my bones until it wrapped around them like a second skin. The blood glistening across my body was not my own.
Her face was burned into my retinas. The purse of her lips, the tears welling in her wide eyes — I saw them every time I blinked, every time I tried to look away. She looked at me the way no one else in the world ever had. Her gaze swept over every imperfection I was certain would make any human turn away in fear. But Nancy never did. She never looked at me like the monster I was. Even when I towered over her small form, she looked at me as if I were an angel brought down to earth for her, and her only. I could still feel the ghost of her hand against my face, tracing every scar that would slowly, stubbornly heal. I loved her so. I loved her even after she left me.
Now I was running through the forest like a madman, drenched in blood and sweat, snarling like a wolf. I was angry — furious, even. My claw-like fingertips ached to slash, and I could hear trees cracking under the sheer weight of my body bursting into them. I could smell the sharp tang of venom and blood, a scent I had grown accustomed to across my long-lived eternity. But the ache in my chest was foreign, unwelcome. It was the ache of duplicity, of unrequited love. I felt like something evil and ugly was clawing its way out from beneath my ribs.
She was the first woman in all my eternity who ever held me. She held me with hands half the size of mine and made me feel, for one impossible moment, like I was something other than a being made to kill. I told that impeccable woman every detail I kept buried in my chest — memories I had long since sunk into the pits of my fiery heart. I showed her every part of myself I was sure would scare her away. But she never ran. She never ran from the me I kept locked away in chambers I wanted to burn.
I was ready to die for her. I was ready to throw myself into the face of danger just to see her smile pointed at me. I wanted to shield her from the darkness that lived inside me, but I couldn't help myself. I couldn't keep that part of me locked away. I could feel a scream — or a snarl, something animalistic — boiling in my chest. The innocence I had promised her was too strong for me, too great to keep caged. That was what she was used to, after all: a gilded cage. And I gave her everything I hadn't wanted to give, kept her shielded from ever being her own.
She had fallen in love with another. With that woman who was far too pretty to be a guard. She was everything I knew, and I knew it in my bones. I knew she wouldn't lash out at Nancy in anger. I knew she wouldn't drag her into my depths and keep her caged like a cornered rabbit. That was what I had done to her — and in return, the smile I had wished so dearly for was met with salty tears. I had seen Nancy cry many times, but this was different. This was final. It was final that she would never return to my hell, that she — an angel, *my* angel — would run off with another to live a noble life.
Her face was burned into my retinas. The purse of her lips, the tears welling in her wide eyes — I saw them every time I blinked, every time I tried to look away. She looked at me the way no one else in the world ever had. Her gaze swept over every imperfection I was certain would make any human turn away in fear. But Nancy never did. She never looked at me like the monster I was. Even when I towered over her small form, she looked at me as if I were an angel brought down to earth for her, and her only. I could still feel the ghost of her hand against my face, tracing every scar that would slowly, stubbornly heal. I loved her so. I loved her even after she left me.
Now I was running through the forest like a madman, drenched in blood and sweat, snarling like a wolf. I was angry — furious, even. My claw-like fingertips ached to slash, and I could hear trees cracking under the sheer weight of my body bursting into them. I could smell the sharp tang of venom and blood, a scent I had grown accustomed to across my long-lived eternity. But the ache in my chest was foreign, unwelcome. It was the ache of duplicity, of unrequited love. I felt like something evil and ugly was clawing its way out from beneath my ribs.
She was the first woman in all my eternity who ever held me. She held me with hands half the size of mine and made me feel, for one impossible moment, like I was something other than a being made to kill. I told that impeccable woman every detail I kept buried in my chest — memories I had long since sunk into the pits of my fiery heart. I showed her every part of myself I was sure would scare her away. But she never ran. She never ran from the me I kept locked away in chambers I wanted to burn.
I was ready to die for her. I was ready to throw myself into the face of danger just to see her smile pointed at me. I wanted to shield her from the darkness that lived inside me, but I couldn't help myself. I couldn't keep that part of me locked away. I could feel a scream — or a snarl, something animalistic — boiling in my chest. The innocence I had promised her was too strong for me, too great to keep caged. That was what she was used to, after all: a gilded cage. And I gave her everything I hadn't wanted to give, kept her shielded from ever being her own.
She had fallen in love with another. With that woman who was far too pretty to be a guard. She was everything I knew, and I knew it in my bones. I knew she wouldn't lash out at Nancy in anger. I knew she wouldn't drag her into my depths and keep her caged like a cornered rabbit. That was what I had done to her — and in return, the smile I had wished so dearly for was met with salty tears. I had seen Nancy cry many times, but this was different. This was final. It was final that she would never return to my hell, that she — an angel, *my* angel — would run off with another to live a noble life.
no subject
Date: 2026-09-23 02:41 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-09-23 06:03 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-09-23 09:43 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-09-24 12:55 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-09-24 06:47 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-09-26 01:14 am (UTC)You really had me at The blood glistening across my body was not my own!